I have always loved September. I grew up in an area that had pretty hot summers, so September meant the temperature was easing up, and the nights would be comfortable again. I also grew up loving school (yep, I was nerdy before it was cool!) so September was always exciting. I loved the feeling of a crisp new notebook, brand new pens, and clean desks and happy teachers.
When I became a parent of school-aged kids, I loved September for a whole new set of reasons! If you’re at all like me, September can be a perfect month for new beginnings, fresh goals, and even resolutions. There’s no pressure to make resolutions (unlike January), so we can quietly make some personal goals and go about making them happen.
If decluttering is one of your goals, then September is a PERFECT time to get started! Embrace all that’s new and fresh with this month, without any of the pressure from traditional ‘resolution’ times.
Here are a few strategies to jump-start your September decluttering:
- Start by looking ahead. What’s a reasonable goal for Thanksgiving or Christmas?
- Count back the weeks so you know how many weeks you get to work on your goal
- Divide that goal into weekly pieces. If you’d like to host family dinner at Thanksgiving, your weekly pieces may include:
- decluttering 1 foot of counter space in your kitchen per week for 3 weeks
- decluttering one chair a week
- decluttering ¼ of your table each week
- Write each weekly goal down. Double check that each goal is reasonable.
- Start working on this week’s goal!
Or, maybe your goal is removing one grocery bag of items from your home every week. September is a great time to find things you can remove from your home!
No matter what goals you have, I’ve got one I’d really like you to add:
This is one of the most amazing things you can do to take care of your innermost need so that you need your things less. It is so simple: just take some time every day to say to yourself “I love myself”. You don’t have to feel loving towards yourself, just start saying the words, and concentrating on them reaching you right into your core. Say it while you’re driving, or when you’re laying in bed, or whenever you can. This little phrase is absolute magic!!
Go have a fantastic month! I’m cheering you on!!